Sunday, December 23, 2018

Light the World!

Today we had a lovely Christmas sacrament meeting at church.  I played a small part and want to record the program and my talk here.

Opening Hymn:
#201 Joy to the World

Sacrament Hymn:
#196 Jesus, Once of Humble Birth


Il est né, le divin Enfant:
French Choir


The Living Christ:
Two Young Women

Away in a Manger:

Brighten your life by
Lighting the World:

Portuguese Ensemble

1st Speaker

Stars Were Gleaming:
Ward Primary

Congregational Hymn:
#203 Angels We Have Heard
on High

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel:

Solo Performance
My favorite Christmas:
2nd Speaker

Silent Night:
German Duet

O Holy Night:
Ward Choir

Closing Remarks:
Bishop

Closing Hymn:
#209 Hark! The Herald
Angels Sing

Brothers and Sisters we live very busy lives! I don't know about you, but I feel like each day is getting busier and busier and every year is going faster and faster. I feel like I am always running yet I am always behind. That's why I was happy to study and give thought on the topic: “Brighten your life by Lighting the World: how serving others lessens our own burdens at Christmas and throughout the year.”

My first thoughts led me to the story found in Luke 10: 38-42. “Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”

As I read these scriptures again, the phrase, “but one thing is needful” really jumped out at me. What is the one thing that is needful, what is that good part that Mary hath chosen? Mary sat at Jesus' feet and heard his word. The one thing that is needful in each of our lives is to hear Christ's words and to develop a relationship with him.

My thoughts then turned to King Benjamin's words in Mosiah 2:17. “And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.”

Members of our church are taught early in our youth that when we serve others we are serving God. In a talk my husband recently gave in the Fallowfield ward he flipped it and said to be in the service of our God, we must be in the service of our fellow men. I like the emphasis that this flip gives.

My thoughts then took an unexpected turn to the story in Mark 12: 41-44. “And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.”

I have always been impressed with the faith of this poor widow. She gave ALL that she had! It has made me reflect, am I giving all that I have? I feel that in other seasons of my life I have been able to give a lot more than I currently have to offer. I was humbled with the thought that I only have 2 mites to give right now, but yes I am offering those 2 mites to the Lord, and I have hope that at another season of my life I will have more to offer, but the amount- 2 mites or 2 million doesn't matter. What matters is that I give my ALL.

For the third year in a row, the church has had its Light the World campaign. For the past couple of weeks, I have prayed every day for an extra opportunity to share light somehow. The very first day I prayed for this I went to meet our new family doctor. After I parked and was leaving my car to go into the office, a woman came out to the car parked right next to me. I heard her say, “oh dear, and she began wiping snow off her windows with her hands.” I told her to wait just a minute, so I could grab my window scraper. I was able to brush all the snow from her windows and scrape the ice off her front windshield in just a couple of minutes. She was most appreciate and kept thanking me. I felt even more gratitude that Heavenly Father had heard my prayer, and led me to park right next to someone who could use my help.

The spirit has guided me to seek out the lonely and offer my friendship. In our annual Christmas cards, we put invitations to the Stake Nativity pageant in those to our neighbors, Len's work colleagues, and the children's school teachers. The spirit has also guided me to realize that the things our family was already doing, count as lighting the world. Every year we give food and gift donations, and this year Leonard and I offered on social media to give a copy of the Book of Mormon to anyone who would like one. Leonard also gave a Christmas stocking to a homeless man that Noé and I made at our Relief Society's Christmas Extravaganza last month. We are planning to make this a new yearly tradition.

I am grateful for the gifts that President Nelson mentioned in the First Presidency's Christmas devotional that the Savior gives to us at Christmas time and always. They are: 1- the unlimited capacity to love; 2- the ability to forgive; 3- the gift of repentance; and 4- the promise of life everlasting. I am so grateful to love and be loved. I am so grateful to be able to repent and be forgiven and to forgive others. I am so grateful for the promise of everlasting life. My heart's greatest desire is to return to live with my Heavenly Parents someday with my Savior, Jesus Christ, with all of my family, with all of my friends, with all of you. I hope that that time is still yet a far way off and until then I desire to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ and hope to use my life giving gifts to others.

In the 1994 First Presidency's Christmas devotional, President Howard W. Hunter said, [“This Christmas, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and then speak it again.

Christmas is a celebration, and there is no celebration that compares with the realization of its true meaning—with the sudden stirring of the heart that has extended itself unselfishly in the things that matter most.

A life filled with unselfish service will also be filled with peace that surpasses understanding. The Savior said: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled: neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27). “Ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you … that where I am, there ye may be also” (John 14:1–3).]

Last week, my husband shared some thoughts on the song, “Joy to the World” and I just wanted to clarify that it is still one of my most favorite Christmas songs. I just think of it now as a Christmas song and a Millennial song. I'd like to close with another favorite song of mine. It's not a Christmas carol, nor a hymn, but it is a Primary song from the Children's Songbook.

Little purple pansies, touched with yellow gold,
Growing in one corner of the garden old;
We are very tiny but must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.

In whatever corner we may chance to grow,
Whether cold or warm the wind may ever blow,
Dark the day or sunny, we must try, try, try
Just one spot to gladden, you and I.

I say these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


No comments: