Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Corn Roast in Cumberland


Our ward had its annual corn roast at the Cumberland Heritage Village Museum. When we visited before 4 years ago the buildings were closed. This year we got to tour them and I was mesmerized by the life and times of those who lived yesteryear.


The previous picture is the back of the General Store and here is the front.


Another shot, inside. Do you recognize some of the brand names? Campbell's, Kraft, Jell-o, and Post Grape Nuts!


Our crew having fun exploring.


The smallest house on the premises. I wonder how many people used to live inside that one room?


This house was much larger with a living room and dining room at the front of the house; the kitchen and mother-in-law's bedroom at the back; and three more small bedrooms upstairs. Then I learned that the family had like 14 children. Those bedrooms were tiny, I don't know how they all fit to sleep!


The old gas station.




The gazebo surrounded by a rainbow in bloom.




Gavin playing with the scarecrow.


Lil' smilin' eyes- I see you!


The old schoolhouse with the British flag inside. Is this school really older than Canada?


Time to learn.


Time to play.


I love old white churches. Inside there was a needlepoint of a really pretty prayer about remembering our heritage. I am grateful for those who paved the way for me to enjoy the wonderful lifestyle I do today.


I think this was the first house built in Orleans back in the day. It was deceptively small inside, but still pretty.


I have a picture of Kaleb & Noe posing here 4 years ago, and now here are my 4 kiddos.


Silly and sweet. I sure love 'em!


This house was sold in a kit from a mail-order catalog. I wish building a house now-a-days was so easy.

Check out the punched-tin ceiling.

The museum is a living experience complete with gardens to harvest (which Leonard helped with that morning at the service project.)


There is also all the livestock you can imagine- cows, pigs, goats, mules, horses, chickens, turkeys, ducks. The kids loved all the animals!


Whenever I get sentimental about the good ol' days and wished I could have lived back then, I see this and think, "I'd rather have my flushing toilet, thank you very much."


But I still like to let my imagination travel to distant places.

No comments: