I was given my first diary for Easter
when I was eight years old. For Christmas, the next year I was given
my first camera. Shortly before my fifteenth birthday I began
writing in my journal on a daily basis. I started scrapbooking when
I was nineteen, when my husband (my then boyfriend) left on his
mission. And five years ago I began our family blog. Now that you
know I am an avid life-documenter, you can probably guess that the
word REMEMBER is a special word to me.
As the wife and mother in a family of
seven, there are lots of things in our daily lives to document. In
fact, right now I feel like life is on fire. Every day I feel like I
am racing through it. Sometimes in all of the hustle and bustle it
can be easy to FORGET the little things that are of huge importance.
Today I'd like to share some of my
thoughts on The Importance Of Remembrance.
What do I want to remember?
First, I'd like to talk a little bit
about today- Remembrance Day and why we celebrate this holiday. I
read a lot and my favorite genre is Historical Fiction. I've read a
lot set during World War II, but recently I read my first book set in
World War I. Obviously, it was a terrible time. Remembrance Day is
a memorial of the ending of hostilities in World War I with the
signing of the Armistice on November 11, 1918. Remembrance Day is
also known as Poppy Day, or Armistice Day and is observed in Canada,
and most of the Commonwealth Nations. There are similar holidays
such as Veterans Day in the US, and others throughout Europe, Asia,
and even Israel. It was originally celebrated to honor those in
the armed forces who died in the line of duty. Now it also honors
all the men and women who have served, and continue to serve this
country during times of war, conflict and peace. In ceremonies
across the country two minutes of silence are observed at 11:00 am.
Usually, there are two poems read as well.
The first is from the point of view of
a fallen soldier- the famous In Flanders fields by John McCrae, and
I'd like to read it now:
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
I have never experienced war first
hand, and I pray I never will. These brave men and boys did face
that ugly reality and sacrificed everything- their lives, so we can
enjoy all of the beauty, happiness, and freedoms (especially the
freedom of religion) that we have. I will always be humbled by their
example and I will hold their torch up high and not break faith with
them.
This second poem I'd like to read is
from our- the beneficiaries of their bravery- point of view. It is
an extract from the poem "For the Fallen" by Laurence
Binyon- The Act of Remembrance:
They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old:Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.
We will remember them.
Not only did the brave soldiers give a
sacrifice, but so did their families- their parents, siblings,
spouses, and children sacrificed them. I am thankful for their
family's sacrifice as well.
There's a famous quote by the great
Spanish philosopher George Santayana who lived from 1863-1952. He
said : "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to
repeat it." While I want to repeat all of the good things in
history, I do not want to repeat any of the horrors. We must
remember to guard ourselves against this.
I will remember the soldiers who
sacrificed so I can enjoy peace and freedom.
Many countries of the world today are
ran by Presidents who are truly Dictators in disguise. Their
citizens have no voice in how their countries are governed. If they
do try to speak up they are forever silenced. I am grateful that I
live in a democracy here in Canada. I am grateful that while I was
raised in the US, I was taught to appreciate the right to vote. This
past week in my homeland we had our Presidential Election. Even
though I am not living there now, I was still able to cast my
absentee ballot and let my opinion on the different candidates and
issues be heard. I see voting as a responsibility and a privilege.
As a woman, it amazes me that women didn't have the right to vote 100
years ago. In 1920 my great-grandmother who I shared of in my
testimony last week, would have been 32 the first time she was
allowed to vote. I am grateful for the suffragettes here in Canada,
the US, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand who
fought for me and all of my women friends to have the right to vote.
I will remember the suffragettes who
fought so I can have a say in how I am governed.
Another people I am forever grateful to
and thankful for are the early Pioneers in our church.
A year and a half
after Joseph Smith's death, Brigham Young began to lead the Saints
west.
Nauvoo was the
third gathering place of the Saints and it must have felt like a
refuge after the pain and sorrow they had endured in Missouri and
Ohio. In Nauvoo the Saints had built nice homes and established
farms, planted trees to enjoy in the future and built a beautiful
temple.
In the middle of
winter they had to abandon their homes, their farms, and their
temple. They had to choose which of their belongings they could take
with them in their wagons as they left across a frozen river.
They had to travel
in freezing temperatures, pouring rain, and thick mud. They had to
pool their resources and struggle against sickness and death. The
Saints moved slowly, with advance teams establishing stations for
those who followed behind them and eventually established a camp
known as Winter Quarters.
It was from Winter
Quarters that Brigham Young lead another advance team across the
Great Plains and into the vast mountain ranges that lead eventually
to what is now Utah.
Over the following
years thousands of saints would follow this lead, carrying their
possessions in wagons or handcarts. They would endure hardships of
fatigue, sickness, exposure to the elements, and even death.
And where did they
settle? In a barren land that was over a thousand miles from the
nearest settlements to the east, and 800 miles to the Pacific Ocean
in the west. They had never built there before, never grown crops
there before.
But having settled
in a desert, they worked hard to fulfill the scripture in Isaiah
35:1- The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them;
and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. They built
houses - first little sod huts and then log homes. They planted
fields and eventually built vast irrigation networks. They built
great cities and small towns and spread across what is now Utah,
Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, and California. Eventually they would
colonize northern Mexico and southern Alberta. And despite having
lost two temples in Kirtland and Nauvoo, they began again to build
temples to the Most High.
July 24th - the
day that Brigham's first company entered the Salt Lake valley is now
Utah's state holiday. It was chosen to help the people remember the
sacrifices of those pioneers who gave up their comfortable lives to
struggle across the wilderness and to build a new home in a desert
for the Saints to be able to practice their religion in peace.
We may not be the
physical descendants of those early Saints, but each of us are their
spiritual descendants. We are able to meet together this Sunday
morning in the chapel because those early Saints - faced with the
choice of abandoning their faith or abandoning their comfort - chose
to give up their worldly goods to preserve the spiritual. And like
the soldiers we remember today, many of them gave their lives so that
we could continue to worship.
I will remember the pioneers who
helped re-establish the Kingdom of God on earth.
Why did the pioneers sacrifice so much? Because they had a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I too have a testimony of this gospel and am so grateful for our prophets past and present.
Our prophets from the past recorded
their dealings with God that make up our scriptures. I'd like to
share some of my favorite scriptures about remembering with you now.
Isaiah 49:15-16- [I will] not forget
thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.
I will remember that the Savior will
never forget me.
1 Nephi 15:25- Wherefore, I, Nephi, did
exhort them to give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea, I did exhort
them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which
I possessed, that they would give heed to the word of God and
remember to keep his commandments always in all things.
I will remember to read the
scriptures and keep the commandments.
1 Thessalonians 1:3- Remember[ing]
without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience
of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;
I will remember to always do good
works.
Doctrine and Covenants 42:30- And
behold, thou wilt remember the poor, and consecrate of thy properties
for their support that which thou hast to impart unto them, with a
covenant and a deed which cannot be broken.
I will remember the poor, the
orphan, the widow, the lonely. I will remember to serve and share
and be a good friend.
Doctrine and Covenants 18:10- Remember
the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;
I will remember to love others and
share the gospel.
Mormon 5:21- And also the Lord will
remember the prayers of the righteous, which have been put up unto
him for them.
I will remember to pray and I will
remember that the Lord hears my prayers.
Moroni 6:6- And they did meet together
oft to partake of bread and wine, in remembrance of the Lord Jesus.
I will remember to partake of the
sacrament.
Doctrine and Covenants 58:42- Behold,
he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the
Lord, remember them no more.
I will remember to repent and the
Lord will not remember my sins. I will forgive and forget the sins
of others, but I will remember my past sins so as not to repeat them.
Doctrine and Covenants 4:6- Remember
faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness,
godliness, charity, humility, diligence.
I will remember to act like a child
of God.
2 Timothy 2:8- Remember that Jesus
Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my
gospel:
I will remember that Jesus Christ
was resurrected and that I will be too one day.
Our modern day prophets have also
taught us much about the gospel and how to live our day-to-day lives.
I tend to look to the past with rose-colored glasses, imagining that
everything was wholesome and all were righteous in the good-ol' days.
Often I see all the evil in the world now and become afraid. But
there is more good in the world than there ever was before. I'd like
to share some of my favorite quotes from our modern prophets:
Brigham Young said, “God established
and taught his gospel in the beginning, revealed it anew in various
dispensations amid periods of apostasy, and has now restored it in
this last age. This final dispensation of all dispensations will
excel in magnificence and glory every dispensation that has ever been
committed to the children of men upon the earth.”
I will remember that this
dispensation of the gospel will never be taken from the earth.
Gordon B. Hinckley explained, "There
is something of divinity within each of you. You have such tremendous
potential with that quality as a part of your inherited nature. Every
one of you was endowed by your Father in Heaven with a tremendous
capacity to do good in the world."
I will remember that I have a divine
nature and will make the world a better place.
Boyd K. Packer taught, “The ultimate
purpose of all we teach is to unite parents and children in faith in
the Lord Jesus Christ, that they are happy at home, sealed in an
eternal marriage, linked to their generations, and assured of
exaltation in the presence of our Heavenly Father.”
I will remember to teach my
children, be a good wife and mother, serve in the temple, and have
faith in my exaltation.
After sharing all of these thoughts of
what I want to remember, I've also been thinking about what I'd like
others to remember about me.
Gordon B. Hinckley said, "You will
have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down
and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time
and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things.
Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them
may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another
until they represent a lifetime of special experiences."
I will remember to keep a journal,
so others may feel my testimony and learn from my experiences.
Helen Keller shared, “Be of good
cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may
come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will
succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming
obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something
beautiful is ever lost.”
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6 expounds on
this with- Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the
Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of
me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I
was, that I am, and that I am to come.
I want others to remember that I was
a person of good cheer and hard work and that I strove to follow the
Savior.
I'd like to conclude with one final
quote by Brigham Young. “We are not in the same attitude that the
people were a few thousand years ago- they were depending on the
Prophet or Prophets, or on having immediate revelation for themselves
to know the will of the Lord, without the record of their
predecessors, while we have the records of those who have lived
before us, also the testimony of the Holy Spirit; and, to the
satisfaction of all who desire a testimony, we can turn to this book
and read that which we believe, learn the object of our pursuit, the
end that we expect to accomplish- the end of the race as far as
mortality is concerned- and the fulness of the glory that is beyond
this vale of tears; consequently we have the advantage of those
who lived before us.”
It is my prayer that we will
remember them.
I say these things
in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:
This was really nice Jen wish I could be there to hear you give it.
All the best tomorrow :)
Marj
Thanks Marj!
Jen, I enjoyed this!
... and remembering our dead is the beginning of their resurrection.
Thanks Lincoln! I enjoyed your comment as well. I've never thought that our remembering them begins their resurrection. I like it!
Post a Comment