Friday, November 20, 2015

Life Story #6

Have you traveled to any place outside of your home country? What was the reason for the trip or trips and what memorable things happened on some of those trips?

I have lived in The United States of America, United Kingdom (England), Canada, and Taiwan, but I will share about them in a future post.  I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit 12 other countries.  I'll share a little about them below.


Mexico- In 1995 I visited Tijuana with my best friend Leslie and her future husband Duff.  I remember all the peddlers telling Duff to buy something for his wives, ha ha!  I visited again in 1998 with Leonard.  That time the peddlers called us Professor and Barbie (they knew how to get me to buy stuff, tee hee!).  I want to go again to visit the gorgeous temple above.

Ireland-  While we lived in England we took the ferry over to Ireland to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  While we were there we saw U2 coming out of their hotel (the Clarence)!  I may have screamed a little bit in my excitement.

Wales-  On our way to catch the ferry to Ireland we took a gorgeous train ride through Wales.  The rolling countryside, and the many castle ruins were just amazing.

France-  Leonard had a month long spring break while we were in England, so we took the ferry to the continent (another time we took the chunnel train over for a quick shopping trip in Calais with some friends) .  We had the best time visiting Calais, Carcassone, Avignon, Marseille, Cannes, and of course Paris!  Some memorable moments include walking the Medieval Cité in Carcassone, walking the entire bay in Cannes, going to the top of the Eiffel Tower, going to Disneyland Paris (and witnessing a guy brandish a knife on the metro, until all of us passengers got up and fled for our lives), being kissed by a man while getting on the Roue de Paris (ferris wheel), visiting the Palace of Versailles, and my favorite- Monet's home in Giverney.

Spain-  We visited Madrid and Barcelona and they are two of the prettiest cities I have ever seen.  Madrid is filled with gorgeous green parks, trees, statues, and fountains EVERYWHERE.  Barcelona is simply spellbinding.  You will be astounded seeing the beautiful creations of Gaudi there.

Monaco-  We just spent a short half-day there, but it was awesome visiting the Monte Carlo Casino (even though we don't gamble, ha!).

Italy-  Florence, Pisa, Rome, Venice.  Can I go back soon?  Love, love, loved each one of those cities.  Romantic gondola ride with my honey was just fantastic!

Vatican City-  I still think it's crazy that this beautiful church (and small surrounding area) is its own country!  We had a lovely time seeing the Sistine Chapel and a 5,000 year old mummy at their museum.

Switzerland-  We stayed in Bern, and I would be happy to live there one day.  A picturesque small town that felt very Bavarian.  We visited the Swiss Temple and met the father of Sister Kagi, a missionary serving in Canterbury.  Our church is like a small town itself!

Germany-  Munich, Freiberg, Berlin, and Frankfurt.  Again, can I go back soon?  My favorite adventure has to be visiting Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles.  We were sick while we visited Berlin, but we met an awesome couple on the train- Rocco and Michelle who helped us find a hotel when we arrived in the city.  It was surreal seeing the remains of the Berlin Wall.  I grew up in fear of the Cold War and I remember when it fell in 1989.  While we were sick, we decided to take a rest and went to the movies.  Watching Galaxy Quest in German is even funnier than in English!

Hong Kong-  While we lived in Taiwan we took a mini-vacation to Hong Kong.  We took a fabulous tour of the city, ate delicious food, visited Disneyland (where we were the grand marshals in the parade), served in the LDS Temple, and visited our friends the Shums.

Thailand-  Another trip while we lived in Taiwan.  We were supposed to go in the summer, but I broke my toe and had to have surgery and 2 screws put in to hold it back together, so we went in the fall instead.  We stayed on Phuket Island and it was paradise!  Riding elephants, eating Thai food, visiting many beautiful Asian temples, and the water are all highlights of our trip.  I love the ocean and Mai Khao beach on the Andaman Sea was just awesome, but the best was taking a boat out to James Bond Island!

Airport countries:
Japan-  I've only been in airports during layovers, but someday I will visit you!

Malaysia-  For our original trip to Thailand we were also going to have a short stay in Malaysia.  When we had to rebook our trip, that part got cut out.  But again, someday I will visit you!

My husband's airport countries:
China

Countries my husband has visited for his work:
Singapore
South Korea
Belgium
The Netherlands
Luxembourg
Mongolia
Brazil

I'm not jealous, I'm just making him take me back with him someday, and to China too!  I'm in love with this planet of ours and I want to visit as many places as I can and meet as many people from all over the world as I can.  I want to collect wonderful memories and friendships instead of things!

No comments: