Monday, June 14, 2010

Is it Summer Yet?


The last of the seasonal wreaths has been hung and I am anxiously awaiting for summer! We still have 7 more days according to the calendar, but we have 12 more days until the kids are out of school. I can NOT wait for the care-free days of summer, where we can stay up later, sleep-in in the mornings, take a break from our routine, and have lots of unstructured fun!


I still want to post a million pictures from New York. I'll get them all on here someday. (Barlow ladies, I can't wait to see all of your pics on the Picasa album!)


To go to New York I had to wean Teague cold turkey. I had tried that whole month after his first birthday, but he would NEVER take the bottle. I was happy to keep nursing him, but then all of a sudden it was time to leave. The first day I was gone, Len said he was fine just not drinking. He ate lots of food, but again would never drink from the bottle or sippy cup. However, at 4 in the morning when he wanted to nurse and mommy wasn't home he finally decided the bottle wasn't such a bad thing. He's been doing great with the bottle now, but thank goodness he hasn't had to give up his thumb yet! From my perspective, it's always so hard to wean my babies. They're taking that huge leap from baby to toddler and you can't look back. It's hard to let your babies grow up!


The kids had their year end carnival at school. It was a blast with junk food, games, lots of bouncy/slide structures, and of course prizes.


Gavin won the best prize, this darling sunflower cake from the cake walk. I also made 3 cakes this week- 2 for the cake walk and 1 for... (you'll see later.)


I got to go with the kids on their field trip to the Museum of Civilization. The teacher just gave a small group of kids to each chaperone to take care of for the day. This was my silly group and we had a wonderful day together!


This was the other cake I made, for Leonard's birthday. How old is he? I'll never tell! We had a fun night visiting with friends, eating lots of dips, and playing The Great Dalmuti.


This past week revolved around our Ward's huge Garage Sale/Bake Sale/BBQ/Car Wash. I was up at the church for 2 nights helping set up, and Len was up another 2 nights. We donated a good chunk of stuff from our move, and I made all of the signs and posters, and of course baked. Saturday was the big day and I was up at the church for 6 hours helping run the bake sale and bbq, getting my car washed, and trying not to buy anything from the garage sale (in the end I bought a wooden puzzle of Canada that I had been looking all over for and I bought back 4 of the teddy bears I donated- yes, I'm a sentimental sap, but all the rest of our stuff went to others' good homes). This huge fundraiser is for the trip we're taking our youth on to Kirtland, Ohio (while also visiting Toronto, Ontario and Palmyra, New York). We are going to have a BUSY summer with Girls Camp, Tri-Stake Youth Conference, and our Church History Trip. Plus we'll be working on our movie for our Stake Film Festival. As soon as we jump over one big hurdle, the next is right there ready to be jumped. This is a very demanding calling and I'm trying my best to keep up.
*We will get to enjoy 3 weeks in August visiting our 3 fams out west. I am so looking forward to that! Happy Summer to all of you!

No comments: