If something is worth doing, it's worth doing____________________________________.
A: Well
B: Poorly
I have always been taught that the correct answer is A. If I'm going to take time to do something, I want to do my best, otherwise why bother? However, this past Sunday in Relief Society my eyes were opened to answer B. If something is WORTH doing, it is worth me doing it even if it is done not all that great. Oft times my attitude of wanting to do things well inhibits me from trying new things that I think I won't be good at.
I'll give you an example. I LOVE food, however I do NOT love cooking. I do think planning and preparing healthy and tasty meals is something WORTH doing though. Instead of throwing in the towel and saying, "I'm just not good at that." I want to say," I am going to try even if I do it bad." And hopefully over time that weakness can become a strength.
I hope this can empower you as I hope it will empower me too. So here's to doing things poorly, but at least doing them!!
Favorite Part Of The Day
1 day ago
2 comments:
Thanks, Jen. Love this post. I've also come to find, as I entered my mid-30s, that somewhere in our adolescence, I think we define ourselves as "good" at some things and "bad" at others. I knew growing up that I was a good student and a good pianist. But I also "knew" that I wasn't good at sports or pretty much anything else. I just didn't even try them, because I knew I'd fail. I'm not really bad at them, though, and I actually enjoy a lot of things that I thought I was "bad" at. Welcome to the mid-30s. . .a time to discover yourself and find the things that are going to make you happy. Good luck with the cooking thing! Remember, it doesn't need to be complicated to be good!
Hey Jen.
Isn't it freeing when you do things just for the sake of doing them because you like them, not that you're any good at it.
I've wondered why we tell ourselves and other adults to hold out until we're good at something, but would never dream of telling a child that. My 4 yr old son is into all kinds of things...and now so am I. I don't even care that what I do is garbage compared to what others do. I just like doing it.
Post a Comment