During the holiday season, Leonard and guest (that's me) were invited to attend a reception at The Netherland's Official Residence (home to their Ambassador). I respectfully declined (as I'd rather not pay a babysitter to go and rub elbows with people I don't know) and Len went solo.
He came back home with some yummy chocolate, some alcohol (he then gave to a fellow co-worker), and this darling "windmill" ornament.
Flash forward to February- Len calls me up from work one day and asks if I'd like to go see a modern dance performance at the NAC- tickets compliments of The Netherlands' Embassy.
This is more up my alley. I love dance, I get to dress up in the dreary winter, I get a night out with my honey, and I don't have to rub elbows with any strangers. So of course, I said YES!
The dance company is from The Netherlands (obviously) and their name is T.R.A.S.H. I have no idea what it stands for, but well the name kind of fit? Don't get me wrong, these two were AMAZING dancers, but the two stories they told (The Enchanted Room and T + Bernadette) were just sad, angry, depressing, almost violent. I enjoy dance that is more of the uplifting variety. The music on the other hand was crazy good. During the first dance, 4 performers came out on stage. After watching the above 2 dance for a few minutes I clued in to the fact that the other 2 were singing the music they were dancing to. The second number had an additional performer on stage as well, this time a cellist who played the most hauntingly beautiful music I've ever heard. I am always impressed with people who have fostered and developed their talents to such levels. However, I wish they would then use those talents to enlighten and uplift!
*And in the end I rubbed elbows with strangers. I got to meet the Ambassador from The Netherlands and his lovely wife, Len's colleagues at their Embassy, some of Len's colleagues from DFAIT, as well as the TRASH company. I still feel awkward about this, but it was pretty cool. The cellist was super humble, love that!
No comments:
Post a Comment