Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Somber Carthage

About 20 minutes away from Nauvoo is the town of Carthage.  This is the jail where Joseph Smith, his brother Hyrum Smith, John Taylor, and Willard Richards were incarcerated.  On June 27, 1844 a mob of 150 men stormed in and killed Joseph and Hyrum.  You can tour the jail and there is a very somber feeling inside.  The original door is still there with the holes made by the bullets that killed Hyrum.  Joseph was also shot and fell out of the window where his body landed near the well below.

I've always thought of Hyrum as an honorable man, and that's why we named our 4th son Hiram.  I haven't always had an easy relationship with Joseph Smith, but now I truly believe that he was a prophet of God.  I am grateful to have the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and I am grateful that Joseph Smith was willing to live and die for the Lord to restore it.


It was nice to watch the Nauvoo Pageant and see the tribute to Joseph Smith.

No comments: