Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Trail of Hope

The early Saints travelled from New York to Ohio to Missouri to Illinois only to have to leave their homes again.  Here is where they started their journey that would lead them to Utah.

After Joseph Smith was martyred Brigham Young became the new leader of the church and lead the Saints to their new home in the West.

I couldn't imagine traveling across the country by covered wagon.

And having to face the mighty Mississippi.

The upside of the Saints having to leave during the winter meant that the river was frozen so they could travel over the ice.

Many couldn't afford a wagon and had to use hand carts.

I'm so glad my kids only have to pretend to pull one.

The pioneers were strong, courageous, faithful people who honored their religious convictions.  I have a tender place in my heart for pioneer mothers.  I couldn't imagine giving birth on the plains, or having to bury a child along the trail.  I am grateful that their seeds of faith are buried deeply in my heart though!

No comments: