Friday, January 18, 2019

Parliament Hill

We heard a rumor that the Parliament buildings are going to be under construction for the next 10 years and that tours would be cancelled during that time.  We figured it was high time our family finally went and saw the inside of these beautiful buildings we've seen the outside of for years.  We learned that yes it is going to be under construction for the next 10 years, however they will still operate tours.  I'm still glad we went and got to see everything "before" renovations and we'll have to go back in a decade to see the "after".

We just toured the Centre Block of Parliament,

but the East Block,

and West Block are just as impressive on the outside!

The Centennial Flame made in commemoration of Canada's 100th birthday in 1967.



I love to see the Canadian flag flying.

Although, I was not impressed with this dwarfed US flag.  I don't know the story of why it was flying, or why its flag pole was so short.  It just reminded me of the smug arrogance that is portrayed in Canadian media towards their neighbors to the south.

Our tour is about to begin, and it will end with us inside the Peace Tower!

Long live the Dominion!

The Red Chamber, where the Senate sits.
(The House of Commons sits in the Green Chamber.  We visited it too, but I couldn't get good photos of it, as construction has already begun in there.)

I love Gothic revival architecture!

The stone carvings throughout were gorgeous.

And the wood carving adornments were breathtaking.

The Library of Parliament was most impressive to me.  I took at least a dozen photos in this gorgeous, circular room with two galleries.

We made it to the top of the Peace Tower.  Here's the view looking across the river at Gatineau.  You can see the Canadian Museum of History on the left.  The spire in front is the top of the Library.

Another view with the National Gallery of Canada and the Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica. 

One last view of the Fairmont Chateau Laurier.
I will stay there someday!

The ceiling inside the Peace Tower was covered with these gold tiles, a very interesting, modern twist to such a traditional building.

Thanks crew for touring Parliament Hill with me!

No comments: