Since we moved to Ottawa we have been to Palmyra countless times. It is such a charming place though, I love it every time we get to visit. I probably have very similar pictures to all of these already on this blog, but here are some more from our summer trip with the Wilde family.
We visited the Grandin Press where the Book of Mormon was first published.
We also visited the book store and distribution center on either side of it as well.
The kids favorite part was getting the old-fashioned root beer and hard candy. I saved my appetite for our visit to the Olive Garden.
A replica of the log house that Joseph Smith lived in as a boy.
I wish I knew how to garden!
A replica of the frame house that Joseph's family moved into later on.
I love touring old homes and seeing how previous generations lived. The master bedroom with its spinning wheel.
The dining room.
The kitchen that opposite the fire had a stone sink with a water pump.
The larder or pantry.
The cooper's shed.
And inside.
There was also a big barn, but I like this little "garage" for the wagon.
Some of the fields, there was also corn on the cob growing not too far from this.
The sacred grove.
We usually take the shorter route through the woods, but this time we took the extra long route and I had no idea how huge this special place is!
I believe that in 1820 Joseph Smith came to these woods to pray to Heavenly Father asking direction on which church he should join. In answer to that prayer, Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ appeared to the young Joseph. Heavenly Father replied, "This is my beloved son, Hear Him!" Jesus Christ then told him not to join any of the churches that were on the earth, but that Joseph would be a prophet to usher in the last dispensation of the fullness of the gospel in preparation for Christ's second coming to the earth and His millennial reign.
With all my heart I hope that Christ comes again soon and that I am worthy to live in that glorious day!
I'm so grateful to have such great people in my life!
The real wild kids, or the Reil-Wilde kids, ha ha!
Every time I look at one of our family photos, I think, how did I get so lucky to get to spend my life with these wonderful people? I sure love this family with all that I am!
No comments:
Post a Comment