Halloween was pretty low-key this year compared to years past, but we still had a fun time! Our festivities didn't really start until the week before when I finally found our decorations to unpack. We had our few from Taiwan and a few more that had been in storage, including this little boy & girl. It was so cute because all week Gavin would call them Chachi and Noe after his beloved older brother and sister.
On Friday the kids had a small celebration at school. I made these little jack-o-lantern cupcakes for them, but they have a little boy in their class with severe allergies (I swear Ottawa is the allergy capitol of the world). Their teacher asked each student to bring in a special treat for themselves, but they wouldn't be allowed to share. I think it's kind of sad. They had a costume parade that the little boys and I went to, but it was a little chaotic followed by a visit from the fire department as a fog machine in the community center at the other end of the building set off the smoke detector. Gavin enjoyed seeing the firetruck though.
The kids brought home these darling ghosts they made,
Saturday morning, Noe went to a birthday party. Afterwards we carved all of our jack-o-lanterns. I drew a bunch of different eyes, noses, and mouths then we took turns picking what we wanted. I LOVE the results. No two are the same and they show each of our personalities. Can you tell whose is whose? (4 on bottom L to R: Jen, Kaleb, Noe, Gavin; 2 on top: Teague and Len). We put 2 on each side of our garage and the other 4 lined our sidewalk up to the front door. It was finally time to get the candy ready for our trick-or-treaters and to get ourselves into costume. You might recognize these.
Kaleb, the muscle-man ninja
Teague, the cutest punkin!
Len, the scholarly priest
Jen, the queen (of course- tee hee!)
I had so much fun playing dress-up with Noe. She was so excited I let her wear one of my fancy necklaces and dangly earrings. When she saw the pictures she said, "I look even prettier than I thought." What a little stink, but she's right!
I must have taken a dozen of these trying to get them all to smile and look at the camera at the same time. This was as good as it got. Love them!
Gavin and Teague stayed home with Daddy to help pass out candy, while I took Kaleb and Noe on their first door-to-door outing. It was fun going around the neighborhood with some of their friends from school.
The kids were thrilled with their loot. Not bad for about an hour's work! The most popular item they received was chips! They also got some good candy (although I think we gave out the best: Twix, Reese, Snickers, Starburst, just to name a few), and some toys too. I never would have thought to give out play-doh for Halloween, how fun!
4 comments:
you guys got chips?! and uncle Len and you dressed up!? cool! My dad would have if are ward had a Halloween party.
Everyone looked great! I love dressing up for Halloween too- who says it's just for the kids!!
So fun! That was quite the haul your kids got! (I hope they shared!)
Did they get any little packets of hot chocolate? That is what we gave out the last several years we actually had kids coming to our door. Nice for having a cup of hot chcolate after you get home on a cold October evening.
Post a Comment