
No, this isn't about soda, it's about music. My dad is a musician and plays the acoustic and electric guitars along with the banjo. I spent many fun summer nights at his band rehearsals. And one of my earliest memories is singing with my mom while the car radio pumped out Barry Manilow's, "I Can't Smile Without You." However, in 4th grade I came into my own with a little crush...
...no, I think full-fledged love affair is more like it with Duran Duran! Oh my goodness, are they not the prettiest boys ever? My mom let me plaster my bedroom walls with their posters from Bop magazine (before she wall-papered it) and I had dreams of marrying John Taylor. That year for Halloween my Aunts Debbi and Connie dressed me up as Cyndi Lauper. I looked fabulous with my orange spray-painted hair, green & purple checkerboard eye shadow, and way too many bracelets.

In high school a lot of my friends liked New Kids on the Block, but they made me laugh. I liked the "cool" stuff- Depeche Mode, U2, and now my dreams were of David Gahan!

In college I finally got a CD player (yes, I'm a luddite) and the first CD I bought myself was of The Ocean Blue (it's still one of my faves). I spoiled myself with a new CD a month. I reconnected with the great ones from the 80's- The Cure, The Smiths, but the girls were my favorite- Indigo Girls, Sarah, Fiona, Tori, Shawn, Natalie, Lisa. Yes, I did go to Lilith Fair- twice!

I always considered my music tastes to be of the alternative variety, and now I've discovered I have an appetite for Pop. Gasp! I blame High School Musical and my kids. But I can't help it, I find myself singing along with Miley, Taylor, and even the freaky Lady Gaga. And "I Gotta Feeling" you love the Black-Eyed Peas too! I mentioned before that I'm a luddite and have yet to enter the world that is MP3. It's ok though, I'm looking forward to Christmas and to find what new CDs Santa stuffed our stockings with!

1 comment:
Ha-ha. How could you NOT like New Kids on the Block? My hubby went out and bought me their new CD for Easter this year. I cracked up, but loved every minute of it. My parents had me hooked on hair bands and Elvis growing up, I still find myslef purchasing lots of those types of groups on iTunes.
Post a Comment