Kaleb and Noe headed off to the first day of third grade the day after Labor Day. We are so excited they are in the same class again, and they are so excited because they have their same teacher as last year too.
*So we've almost finished 3 weeks of school and I have not been able to get my groove back on. Each week the kids bring home their homework folder on Monday to turn it back in on Friday. Inside they have packets for language arts, math, and cursive. They also have their book club book to read with questions to answer about it and their library books to read. Plus each term they have a big take-home project to do. I am fine with kids bringing home homework of assignments they weren't able to complete in class, but having homework just to teach them "homework habits" I think is so ridiculous!
*I am a believer in extra-curricular activities, but I also am wary of "busy-ness." We have our school-aged children choose one activity to do each school year. Kaleb is doing Taekwondo again, but it now meets twice a week. Noe is back in dance, jazz this time and she also has practices twice a week. They're also on their school's Cross Country team, but their practices are during their lunch break. Plus, we have Cub Scouts, Activity Days, and Young Women activities too.
*Gavin (and Teague) have started a Jolly Phonics class that's once a week with 5 other moms and 8 other children. He is loving it and I am enjoying visiting with the other moms. We're not participating in the Drop-In Center playgroup or the Institute playgroup this year, because I have to have a couple of days each week for housework and laundry, etc (my blog- tee hee). We are still having our weekly play days with the Martin's though and I am so grateful that Mary can pencil us in during her busy week. She's been my sanity relief since Kaleb and Noe were babies!
*I've also started a Hatha Yoga class. The instructor is great, but yoga is not just a form of exercise for her, but it is also her religion. While my body is being tortured I have a little inner chuckle while I'm listening to her chant her Ultimate Reality mantras in her airy-fairy voice. It's great fun! I'm also still participating in Book Club which I love!
*I know all moms struggle with BALANCE issues, but I've been feeling really frustrated lately. I feel like Saturdays are our only "family" days (since the other days of the week belong to someone else- Church, Work, School), but ours are booked until the end of the year. Actually, I feel kind of angry about that. I actually have my own agenda I would like for our family- chores, outings, hobbies, socializing, but I feel like our desires have to always take the back seat to other obligations. Some days I'm ready to run away to a commune so we can home-school and home-church our children, and actually have a voice in our community. The whole "growing" our own bread to be able to eat every day sounds like more worthwhile and simpler work to me too.
No comments:
Post a Comment