Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 4- Windsor's and Whimsy

On Monday, Leonard began his work week. He went to some big conference (Cross-Cultural Dialogue on Euro-Atlantic Defense and Security) at Chatham House. He was thrilled to participate in discussions (under "Chatham House Rules") at such a venerable international institution. While I went window shopping down Oxford Steet. There were tons of interesting displays and such beautiful girlie fashions for spring- too bad I'm pregnant. In the evening we took a stroll over to Buckingham Palace. Isn't this a cute little garden? It's across the street from Buckingham. Leonard thinks he wouldn't mind living in a Palace someday. I don't think I'd like to live in one, but I would like to peak inside. A car was leaving and I got to sneak a picture through the gate. The security guards were making sure I didn't go any farther though. I always tease Len about Canada's Queen being English and that they should just get rid of the Monarchy. I must admit though, that the little girl inside of me was jumping up and down while we were outside of the Palace. Could you imagine being a real-life Princess? I can't even fathom it, but I do like to pretend. The above picture was the most popular postcard while we lived in England back in 2000. It's of the 4 generations of Royal Windsor's: Queen Elizabeth II, Prince William, the Queen Mother (who I share a birthday with, and she lived to be 101), and Prince Charles. During this visit, the above picture was the most popular postcard. Will you watch the big wedding on April 29th? Actually, if I could choose anywhere in London to live, I would choose one of these flats on Park Lane overlooking Hyde Park. We had a marvelous time tramping through Hyde Park (except for encountering the Libyan protestors). I remember finding this statue of Peter Pan when we lived here, so we were on a hunt to find him again. I also like this big horse head statue. And of course, the Jelly Babies. But I do NOT like the candy, they are nasty- nothing like Gummy Bears. I don't think pay phones exist in North American anymore, but I love England's charming red ones. And their red pillar (mail) boxes. We even spied a green pillar box in Ireland back from the days of King Edward VII! The British Isles still possess romance, royalty, whimsy, and charm.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hi Jen, I love your blog! I'm enjoying following your trip to England, looks like you really made the most of it. Looking forward to day 5! I don't know if you read my message on facebook but I just need your e-mail address then I can invite you to read mine x