Friday, March 30, 2012

Decade Dance Party


I made these little "10"s for the kids to share with their classmates on their birthday. Attached was the invitation to their Decade Dance Party.




We hung about a million balloons outside, in the mainfloor, and basement. I also switched out our Subway art to the birthday theme.
The food table. We served DIP! Chips & dip, nachos & dip, veggies & dip, and fruit & dip. It was so easy-peasy not to have to cook.



Since this was a "decade" party we invited our guests to dress from their favorite decade if they'd like. Kaleb, Noe, and I all chose the 80's again. I was sad that Len didn't get a full-body shot of me, you can't see my awesome acid-wash jeggings under my skirt, or my hot pink leg warmers. Thanks so much Annick for letting me borrow your outfit!
I taught the kids a dance from each decade (Hand Jive, Twist, YMCA, and Macarena). Afterwards we ate, then played a decade game. I made a DVD with 30 images from the 1900's to the 1990's of fashion, transportation, home appliances, food, and entertainment. When each picture was shown I'd toss a Hershey's Kiss to who could correctly name it. I'd toss another Kiss to who could correctly age it. We went back downstairs to do the Electric Slide, when a fist fight broke out between 2 of the boys. WHAT FUN! Luckily, both parents were able to talk and they're hoping to involve the school with mediation. Apparently, these two have had a problem since Kindergarten. Ugh! I hope they can get some help. My husband's background in Conflict Resolution sure helped in the moment though, ha ha!




Once things were under control we skipped the dancing and had cake balls and ice cream.
My friend, Lianne had her 5th baby the same day that I had Hiram. They are cute little birthday twins! Julia is about 8 hours older than Hiram, so I teased Lianne that if they ever end up dating Julia can be the older woman.

The kids were SERIOUSLY spoiled! They have very generous friends.

Unfortunately, our 3 hour party ran out of time, so the kids didn't get to open their gifts with their guests. We were on a time crunch too, as that night Len & I went to another friend's 40th birthday party. The kids were very patient with just opening one present then.
The next day was crazy busy with church and dinner group, so they had to wait until after school Monday to open their presents. Kaleb LOVED his two lightsabers and Percy Jackson books.

Noe was not as patient waiting to open her gifts (nor would I be), but the wait was worth it. She LOVED her two new princess barbies to add to her collection and her Anne of Green Gables books.

For party favors, I made up CD's with 22 awesome songs (see list below). The kids also passed out thank you cards at school on Tuesday. The party of the decade is officially over now and I can rest- whew!
[Track List: 1. Rock Around the Clock- Bill Haley & His Comets, 2. Hound Dog- Elvis Presley, 3. Chantilly Lace- Big Bopper, 4. Great Balls of Fire- Jerry Lee Lewis, 5. Twist & Shout- The Beatles, 6. Surfin' Safari- The Beach Boys, 7. Turn! Turn! Turn!- The Byrds, 8. The 59th Street Bridge Song- Simon & Garfunkel, 9. Get Down Tonight- KC & the Sunshine Band, 10. Night Fever- Bee Gees, 11. Dancing Queen- ABBA, 12. YMCA- Village People, 13. Holiday- Madonna, 14. Thriller- Michael Jackson, 15. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper, 16. Wild Boys- Duran Duran, 17. Enjoy the Silence- Depeche Mode, 18. Mysterious Ways- U2, 19. I'm Gonna Be- The Proclaimers, 20. Two Princes- Spin Doctors, 21. 1999- Prince, 22. Millennium- Robbie Williams]

No comments: