Thursday, August 2, 2012

Poison Ivy is NOT nice!

 Two weeks ago, Kaleb showed me a black mark on his arm and asked if I knew what it was.  It looked just like someone ran a magic marker down his forearm, and I had NO idea what it was.  He had been playing in the woods at the park with the neighborhood kids, so I was worried he got into some poison ivy or got bit by a weird insect or something.  I told him we'd keep our eyes on the mark to see if it changed.
 Sure enough, the next day it was swollen, red and starting to blister.  We took him to the doctor, and she had no idea what the black mark was either, but said the reaction to it was a typical skin allergy reaction such as poison ivy.  She gave us a steroid cream and promised us the rash would get worse before it got better.
 Yes, it did get worse!  The red swelling and blisters spread all over both arms, his legs, his face, and a couple spots on his tummy.  His right cheek swelled up so bad that it looked like he was a chipmunk storing a golfball.
 We took him back to the doctor and she gave him a stronger steroid pill to take.
The swelling has gone down, but the blisters have started seeping and just look awful.  These pictures aren't half as bad as it got.  He is a trooper though and is taking it all in stride.  Hopefully, he will feel better soon!

No comments: