I have seen a few beautiful "rose cakes" online and thought I'd try to make one myself. My birthday was a good excuse to eat some cake!
My kids thought it was a great idea to eat some cake too.
Even Leonard was willing to help me out.
Make a wish.
I chose a pink & orange color scheme for the roses as well as the cake layers. Originally, I wanted to cut each layer in half so it would look like 4 mini-layers: pink, orange, pink, orange. However, after I first plunged the knife in and stuck it through the bottom, I decided 2 layers is good! I made 3 batches of frosting for this- the white for the crumb coat and the 2 colors for the roses. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite stiff enough and the roses on the sides all d r o o p e d. (One day I will take the Wilton cake decorating classes from Michael's!) It still tasted pretty good though. I really wanted strawberry and peach ice cream to go with it, but I had to settle for a banana- strawberry and orange-pineapple-mango-peach.
The birthday festivities also included Leonard spoiling me with one of my favorite dinners- fish tacos! If you haven't tried them yet, I know they sound weird, but they are OH. SO. GOOD! Corn tortillas, flaky cod, cheese, cabbage, pico de gallo, and a yummy lime- cilantro vinaigrette- yum!
I also got a few gifts: a new hair waver, wallet, belt, and swimsuit.
Leonard and I also got to go out on a date. We saw Brave and it was really cute. (Check out my friend Jenny's post about it.) I definitely had a great day!

No comments:
Post a Comment