Thursday, May 15, 2014

Life's What You Make It

I saw this on facebook and just had to share it here too.  Okay, so I may not be able to make myself a fairy princess with a unicorn, but there are so many things I CAN DO for my life!  I have always wanted to be a wife and mother and as the days draw near for me to become a mother to six amazing, beautiful children I just feel so lucky, blessed, privileged that the dream I have always wanted is my reality.  I have other, more personal dreams too.  I would love to pursue my art and become an accomplished painter someday.  I love to dance and would love to be able to perform again. (Unfortunately, there's not a huge market of dance classes for middle-aged moms who want to dance for fun and exercise.  The only adult dance classes I know of are for professionals or couples.  I would love to dance with Leonard, but my dream of dancing is not in the ballroom genre.)  I love to travel and if we had less children Len and I could do a lot more of that.  However, I would rather have my family than the opportunity to visit every country in the world.
 
I have had a few lovely comments from people when they find out that I am pregnant with baby #6.  However, most of the comments have been disparaging:  "Wow, your life must be hectic!"  "You should get another hobby!"  "I can't even imagine what your life is like!"  My life is wonderful!  It is busy, but it is not anymore hectic than anyone else's, I've just learned to prioritize.  The important things always get done, and if other unimportant things don't get done- oh well, they're not that important!  As far as the hobby comment is concerned, I don't see mothering as a hobby, but as a calling.  It is what I am here to do.  And if they are referring to sex, have they tried it?  (Just kidding, but seriously each of our children was planned, none of them were an accident, surprise, or mistake.)  For those that can't imagine how gratifying my life is having 6 soon to be 7 of my favorite people to share it with each day, I honestly feel sorry for them.  I can't imagine what their life is like entirely self-absorbed. 
 
We are all different and should have different dreams.  I know that some of our dreams just can't come true now, but I believe in eternity and believe all of our good dreams will come true someday.  I hope everyone can follow theirs now and find the same happiness that I have in following mine.  To quote Walt Disney, "If you can dream it, you can do it!"  Now I must be off to go slay a dragon.

No comments: