Sunday, April 9, 2017

Arts Festival

The kids' school had a celebration of the visual and performing arts.  It was a fabulous event!  I LOVED seeing all of the paintings on display, but I was completely drawn to these selfies inspired by the work of Sandra Silberzweig.

Here is Kaleb with the statue Bolt that he made with 4 of his friends.  It is inspired by Ju Ming's sculptures.

Here is a mini sculpture, Kaleb made to keep as well.

As an art student, Kaleb got to submit multiple pieces to the exhibit, including Tina (a sketch of his friend Tina).

An experiment in light.

For the Things They Carried exhibit (inspired by the refugee crisis) Kaleb drew his baby blanket and said, "I have traveled a lot, moving house to house; new place, furniture, the like.  However, I have always had this blanket with me.  A piece of home."

Noé worked with 6 friends to create Nana, based on Niki de Saint Phalle's sculptures.

She also made a mini one to keep.

Bolt and Nana became fast friends.

Noé is also an art student and got to display more of her work.  Here is her Lipstick painting inspired by Michael Craig Martin.

She drew a necklace charm for the Things They Carried exhibit and said, "This is my Young Women medallion.  I got this necklace when I turned twelve.  The motto that goes with this is 'Stand for Truth and Righteousness.'  We (my church) believe we are daughters and sons of our Heavenly Father who loves us and we love him.  I would take this because it reminds me of the promises I have made."

Here is Gavin with his Sandra Silberzweig inspired selfie.
I want to have each of my children make one!

Here is Teague with his Vincent van Gogh inspired vase of flowers.

Hiram had fun making his snail and caterpillars.

Ali loves making artwork at home.  I can't wait for her to paint an elephant like this one day!

Kaleb performed with the band; Noé performed a black-light skit with glowing ping-pong balls and her drama class; Gavin sang with his grade; Teague sang with his grade; and all of my boys performed in the big fabulous ending- three songs from Les Miserables!  (Hiram performed in an assembly for the pre-kinders, kindergartners, and first graders earlier in the week.  They sang Castle on a Cloud complete with hand motions, so precious!)  With the tunes of Little People, One Day More, and Do You Hear the People Sing? in our heads, when we got home we watched Les Mis and bawled our eyes out.  It really was a fabulous day enjoying the arts!

No comments: