Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Driving in Taiwan

Today while I was driving the kids home from their activities it hit me again, at how absolutely INSANE it is to drive here. I had to post about it, so I started brainstorming ideas for the title. I couldn't just use "Driving in Taiwan," so I put on my creative thinking cap and came up with the following:
Chinese fire-drill, it's not just a game
Bumper Cars
Swarms of Scooters
Driving Rules? No, they're just Suggestions
This is not Pac Man, you're not supposed to "eat" the white dots on the road
I KNOW where the Sidewalk ends
You need to make a right turn? OK, get in the far left lane to do that
You need to make a left turn? OK, get in the far right lane to do that
Do you really want to play Chicken with a big ol' bus?
Why are there no left-turn lights here? I would give anything for one (sob, sob, sniffle)
Sure you can double park here, just put on your hazards and no one will know it's a lane
No, DON'T follow that cab!
Yes, it's safe to ride bicycles in Taiwan..CRUNCH!
Are we supposed to drive on the right or on the left side of the street?
3-point turn? Sorry, it will take a 30-point turn to park here
The parking lot is full? That's OK we'll just join the mile of cars that's blocking traffic waiting for the next available spot
Have you ever parked your car in an elevator? I have!
There's a Rescue Vehicle coming? That's their problem
Thank goodness for the real-life traffic controllers, they work much better than installing proper traffic lights at intersections
Are we there yet?
You get the idea (or maybe not if you've never driven here, but you should try it sometime). It is simply nuts! Some days I feel like I've run the gauntlet just to get home. Our first year here I didn't drive much. I mainly rode the MRT (metro), and Len was still in Chinese school then, so he was home early and did most of the driving. Last year I got a bit braver and drove to the kids' school and back (no small feat for me as I was pregnant and felt like all the "me-first" drivers were out to get me). This year I have become even more brave. I drive to church, Len's work (which is downtown), play group, Costco (if Len is navigating). I know it's not everywhere, but I'm proud of myself since I can't speak or read Chinese or maps either really, plus this year I'm driving the Toyota Sienna instead of the tiny little Nissan March. I guess I'm doing alright since many of the local Taiwanese won't drive in the city. It is chaos, but a sort-of organized chaos, it does have an ebb & flow to it. I'm just hoping my future memories of driving here will be endearing, whereas now it just drives me crazy!

**I will take a picture of any given sidewalk here that has hundreds of the MILLION scooters parked on it, and add it to this post.



I'm adding this picture, because it is of something that is lovely about driving in Taiwan. On any given day at any major intersection you will find people selling these simple flowers. I remember when we first moved here I thought they were selling garlic cloves. I was with my friend Carrie and she bought one to show me, and ever since then I buy them every time I can. They only cost 20NTD (about $.60 US) and they just have a gorgeous, strong flower scent. You hang them on your rear-view mirror and your whole car will take on the delicious aroma!

3 comments:

Natalie Que said...

Yikes! That was hilarious, and OF COURSE I know exactly what you are talking about!

Amber said...

That is so funny even though I don't even probably fully understand. I have never driven in Taiwan.

Why do you live there anyways? I think that is so cool.

Jennifer said...

Amber, if you ever want to come visit- you and your family are always welcome to stay with us! Leonard works for the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, and this is our first overseas assignment. It is fun, but I get SO homesick too! Your life in Vegas looks fabulous!