When Kaleb finished 5th grade he had earned his red belt in Taekwondo. I thought for 6th grade he would work towards earning his black belt and Gavin (who would be in 1st grade) could join him in the family class. However, Kaleb was ready to retire from the Martial Arts. We discussed what we thought would be best for our family schedule and budget. We decided Len would teach the boys basketball skills each week up in our church gym. I think they went about 3 times. It's sad to say, but when you're not paying for a class it's so easy to just stay home! Our schedules are busy enough and once the snow comes we all just want to hibernate. Someday we may revisit this plan though.
Last fall I signed up to take a dance class and I encouraged Leonard to look for a class he might like to take. He found a German longsword class that sounded right up his alley. Kaleb thought he'd like to participate too, so we signed them both up. They went for a couple of months and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the studio changed their schedule and it no longer fit with ours. Someday I'd like Len and I to take a dance class together and fencing too!
This past summer Teague's friend's Dad called and asked if we'd be interested in participating in a soccer class with other friends from church. Sure we were! Before it started it evolved to add a younger class (Hiram) and the older siblings were invited to join too (Gavin). Len also helped coach the little guys, so they all had fun together!
Now that school has started extracurriculars are back too. During the day I take Hiram and Ali to a gymnastics studio where they get to play on all the different apparatus (the trampolines and foam pit are their favorites!). After school Kaleb has piano lessons and Young Men; Noé has dance class and Young Women; Gavin has Cub Scouts; and I have a dance class, book club, and Gospel study class. Poor Len and Teague don't have any extracurricular activities this year. I've learned that not everyone has to participate all the time though. Things seem to work out for all in their proper times and seasons. At least, I sure hope they do!
No comments:
Post a Comment