Sunday, May 13, 2018

Pre-op Day

We went to the hospital for FIVE hours to do all of Macy's pre-op stuff.  First, we met a surgical nurse (our's was off that day, but we previously met her) to get all of Macy's measurements taken.  Next, we met the social worker again to make sure our family has a support system to help us out during her surgery day and recovery period.  Finally, the surgeon came in (Dr. Maharaj, a lovely man) to go over all the nitty-gritty of what will actually happen during our sweet girl's open heart surgery.  Man, it is DANG scary!  I feel that she is in good hands though and I know that Heavenly Father is watching over her and her medical team.  I have faith that everything will work out all right (regardless of the outcome, but of course, I want her to be healthy and well!).

We were in that first room for 3 hours!  The next 2 hours were spent meeting the anesthesiologist, getting her blood work done, getting a urine sample from her, and finally having chest x-rays taken with her stuffed in this baby vase (technically a pigg-o-stat).  She hated that thing!  And I don't blame her!  She cried the hardest while she was in that- even more so than getting her blood taken (2 pokes) and giving a urine sample with a bag taped to her privates, then having to be removed like a band-aid, (ouch!).  This girl is as sweet as they come, but as I've said before- she is also one tough cookie!

I'm having lots of anxiety though.  I just can't wait until her surgery is over and all is well and I can hold her and take care of her again.  They are expecting she'll be in the hospital for about 2 weeks, have about 6 weeks of initial recovery, but it will take a year for her to make a full recovery.  I don't want to wish her "babyhood" away, but I can't wait for that day.  I love you Macy girl with all of my heart!!

No comments: