Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Allegiance


I haven't celebrated Memorial Day for the past 6 years, but I am a very Patriotic American and love my country, and have been thinking a lot about it since this past Memorial Day weekend. My husband is Canadian and we are currently living in Taiwan and I respect both of those countries too. However, I want to instill in my children the values that America stands for. They go to an "American" school, but that just means it uses an American teaching style. It is an International School with about 30 countries represented, so there is nothing taught about America the country. I grew up saying the Pledge of Allegiance to my flag every day in school. Since my children don't do that at their school, we started doing it in our home each morning and these are the words we recite:

I Pledge Allegiance
To the Flag
Of the United States of America
And to the Republic
For Which It Stands
One Nation
Under God,
Indivisible,
With Liberty
And Justice
For All

I'm getting teary-eyed just typing those words. America is criticized a lot these days, but I like how Tony Blair (former Prime-Minister of the UK) says you should judge a country: how many of its citizens want to get out? and how many citizens of other countries want to get in? Judging America that way, I think you'll agree that America is a wonderful country. Of course, it has flaws but I think it's doing its best. I think America is mainly criticized in regards to its foreign policy. Again, there may be flaws in that too, but there are some corrupt and despicable governments in the world and I think America is trying to bring basic freedoms to every citizen of the earth. Many countries are helping us, but many are acting cowardly. If all of the noble nations of the world worked together we really could bring freedom (and with that freedom all of the other good qualities of life), and I'm glad my country is doing something instead of nothing! I didn't mean to get on my soapbox. I miss my country though, and I do love it.


I have often asked Leonard what identity our children will have. Will they be Americans, Canadians, or what? He said they will be "Reil's" and that made me smile. I want our children to love America, and in all fairness Canada too. Each morning we have family prayer, American Heritage (pledge to flag), and Canadian Heritage where they say "God save the Queen." (Although I do tease Len that she is the English Queen, he assures me she is the Canadian Queen too. He grew up singing that song everyday at school and said the Lord's prayer, oh I wish our kids could do that). We then give them hugs and kisses and send them off to school. I hope they will have a special place in their hearts for Taiwan too (especially Gavin, since he was born here), and respect people from all nations. I guess I wish 4 things for them: 1) to be grateful for their North American roots, 2) to know that they are Reil's and we will always love and support each other, 3) to know that they are children of God and He will always love and bless them, and 4) to know that every person on the earth is a child of God too and deserves kindness and respect.

* Gavin is 17 months old now, I really need to update our picture frames on that table!




2 comments:

Becky said...

Very nicely put! Your blog is so well put together. By the way, what camera do you own? Mine is ancient and I need a new one. Your pictures are so crisp and clear!

Jennifer said...

My camera is ancient too =). I got it for Christmas 2004. Anyway, it's a Kodak Easy Share CX7525, 5.0 mega pixels. After we move back to Canada I want to upgrade to a nicer one =).