Friday, July 4, 2008

I've got a thing for barns


I grew up spending my school years in Nevada and my summers in Idaho. I always felt like it was my private Idaho, and it seemed sort of magical to me. This old barn is still standing in Eagle and I hope it stands for years to come. I doubt it will though. Like everywhere, Idaho is experiencing "urban sprawl" and all of the farm land is quickly being gobbled up to make way for more neighborhoods filled with huge mansions. Don't get me wrong, I hope to live in a nice home of our own someday, but I sure would have loved to have seen this old barn in all her glory.


I'm guessing these were the old stables,


this was the old chicken coop,


and here is where the farmer's family lived. But as you can tell, that was a long, long time ago.


Now this pretty lady still stands in Meridian and I sure hope she's standing for years to come too. My city-girl heart has a soft spot for the country life. I see too much of "pave paradise to put up a parking lot" and hope more large land owners can hold out to developers. We all need to keep these places that are a breath of fresh air!

No comments: