Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Junk Food Haul

Monday was a holiday here, which means EVERYTHING is closed. We needed groceries, so we decided to drive down to America to get some. This time we went to Massena, New York and I fell in love with their Walmart (sigh).


We brought our cooler so we could get milk in JUGS and butter in 1/2 CUP STICKS!!



I have been craving Cream of Wheat, Grape Nuts, Raisin Nut Bran, and Kix- yea! I can eat them now. We also let the kids eat sugar cereal in the summer, so we got some Cap'n Crunch, and Honey Smacks to tide them over.


Len couldn't resist the Jiffy blueberry muffin and cornbread mixes- yum!





For our school carnival this week I am making a pink poodle cake, so I got some Strawberry cake mixes and frosting, and my favorite German Chocolate with Coconut Pecan frosting- I'm dreaming of that now.





I've done a whole blog post about the pink and white iced Circus Animals, so you know I had to get them (2 bags!). I also needed (a pregnancy plus!) Nutter Butters, Fig Newtons, Cool Mint Oreos, and Heads or Tails Double Stuf Oreos. Don't worry I'll pace myself.





We also got some Little Debbie cupcakes, and orange slices. You can get some Little Debbie here and the orange slices, but they were just $1- so hey. We had to get some Red Vines too, all you can get is Twizzlers (NOT my fave) here. The kids were giddy as the shopping cart got piled up with all this junk and kept saying that we were spoiling them as they laughed with glee. We really will pace ourselves, only one treat bag every other week. It should last all summer.





Noe had red and blue polk-a-dot bows, but lost the red one, so I had to replace with these cute stripe ones. Again, they were just a buck!





I love crib bedding and each of my babies gets their own set. I had been scoping out stores here and seeing what I liked. I decided to take Babies 'R Us off the list as everything there was about $200 for a 4 piece set. I found some cute ones at Walmart here for only $85. Well, when I found these 2 darling sets for only $25 each, I got them both! I'm set for a boy or a girl, and since I have 6 friends in town that are pregnant, I would be happy to give the other set as a shower gift.





We also got a new pet frog.





Teague loves to sit on him, but hasn't done anything else yet. I'm hoping maybe he'll be potty trained before the new baby arrives!






I also must mention that we got Orange sherbet push-ups (that we ate in the car) and Taco Bell for lunch (it is a completely different restaurant here).






Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of things in Canada that you can't get in the States that I miss when we're not here, but it was fun getting some good ol' fashioned American sugar!






The Canadian dollar is now stronger than the American one, yet retail prices here are 30% higher (plus 13% sales tax)- yikes! America has a free market between States, where as Canada has trade barriers between provinces that raise all the prices. 80% of Canadians live within an hour of the border, and the other 20% live within 2 hours. It would be nice if more Canadians hopped down to the States to shop, so maybe the Canada market could get the hint and adjust their prices. Although, Canada is the country that is surviving the world recession best, so who knows? We did see some friends from church while we there that head down every 2 weeks to stock up the pantry. I think we're going to make this a monthly outing for sure! (At least while the weather's nice- tee hee).

1 comment:

the andersons said...

When I was pregnant with Sophia I totally craved Cream of Wheat. Sometimes I was eating it twice a day! How funny.