Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Most Celebrated Birth

We are grateful that we get to celebrate Christmas each year. We have some special nativity sets that help us remember why we celebrate, for it is the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.


I made this nativity our first Christmas married at a Super Saturday in Utah (1997).


I made this one at another Super Saturday, but in Nevada this time (2000).


This was made at yet another Super Saturday, but in Ontario, Canada (2004).


This is the first Nativity Set we ever bought. I was holding out for an olive wood one from a visit to Jerusalem. Then I realized I may never get to Jerusalem, and I found this one by Jim Shore that I just loved. Len loved it too, so we bought it. (Ontario, 2004).


For Christmas 2005, I ordered this Little People set for the kids to play with. Since we moved to Taiwan it actually arrived just a couple days after Christmas. My kids didn't care though and they happily played with it until New Year's. They love to play with it each year, and Gavin does too now.


This beautiful Taiwanese set is from our very generous Secret Santa (2005).


After receiving our gorgeous Taiwanese set I really wanted to collect a set from each continent we have lived on. When we were in England I bought one for my parents, but not for us. We decided to order a Santon set from Southern France in memorial of Leonard's mission there (2006).


This set was a sweet gift from my sister, Amanda from her trip to Panama this summer. I hope we get to live in South America someday. I previously bought another set from Mexico for my parents too. It is just remarkable to me that so many different countries and cultures all have their own way to celebrate Christmas, but the center of it is always Jesus. It has been so great getting a new set each year and I would really like to continue the tradition (at least for each continent we live on). Leonard is a bit more apprehensive as he doesn't know how we would display more, but I have faith there will always be a way too! (2007).

2 comments:

Amber said...

I love all those! How cool to have all those. Do you collect nativity sets too?

Jennifer said...

Amber, I do love nativities and would love to continue collecting them. I would love to see all of your beautiful ones too!