Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Building a Christ-centered Home

I'm the secretary in our ward's Relief Society presidency, so I got to teach our sisters on the first Sunday in November. I started by putting a word up on the chalk board and asked the sisters to think if they thought it was a good word or bad word.


I then read this quote from Bonnie L. Oscarson (Young Women General President):
"We need to stand and defend... the sanctity of the home. We need to take a term which is sometimes spoken of with derision and elevate it. It is the term homemaker.‍ All of us—women, men, youth, and children, single or married—can work at being homemakers. We should “make our homes” places of order, refuge, holiness, and safety. Our homes should be places where the Spirit of the Lord is felt in rich abundance and where the scriptures and the gospel are studied, taught, and lived. What a difference it would make in the world if all people would see themselves as makers of righteous homes. Let us defend the home as a place which is second only to the temple in holiness.”


I then added the rest of the title and told them together we were going to build a home. I shared quotes and scriptures for each piece and the sisters shared their experiences in using that piece in their own Christ-centered homes. I think it went well! I'm going to share a condensed version here.


 

We built the four foundation corners one at a time, but here they all are: Prayer, Scripture Study, Family Home Evening, and Church Attendance.
Prayer- “I know of no single activity that has more potential for unifying our families and bringing more love and divine direction into our homes than consistent, fervent family prayer.” Elder John H. Groberg
Scripture Study- “We talk to God through prayer. He most often communicates back to us through His written word. To know what the voice of the Divine sounds and feels like, read His words, study the scriptures, and ponder them. Make them an integral part of everyday life. If you want your children to recognize, understand, and act on the promptings of the Spirit, you must study the scriptures with them."  Elder Richard G. Scott
Family Home Evening- “It is a striking fact that the family home evening is the ideal time to accomplish almost every type of family togetherness. It is the ideal place for the family to pray together, learn together, counsel together, play together, and even work together. Most of us recognize this, but I wonder how many of us are really using the family home evening to its full potential.”  Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Church Attendance- "Greater peace will come as you couple your efforts to be obedient with serving those around you. So many individuals who have what they perceive to be meager talents humbly and generously use those talents to bless the lives of those around them. Selfishness is the root of great evil. The antidote for that evil is exemplified in the life of the Savior. He shows us how to focus our lives outward in unselfish service to others."  Elder Richard G. Scott


 
We then put up the walls: Follow the Prophet- “Learn to keep your eye on the prophet. He is the Lord’s mouthpiece and the only man who can speak for the Lord today. Let his inspired counsel take precedence. Let his inspired words be a basis for evaluating the counsel of all lesser authorities. Then live close to the Spirit so you may know the truth of all things.” President Ezra Taft Benson

 
Next we put on the roof: Temple Attendance- “We all know there is no more peaceful place on this earth than in the temples of God. If you don’t have a temple recommend, qualify to get one. When you have a recommend, use it often. Schedule a regular time to be in the temple. Don’t let anyone or anything prevent you from being there. While you are in the temple, listen to the words of the ordinances, ponder them, pray about them, and seek to understand their meaning. The temple is one of the best places to come to understand the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Seek Him there. Remember that many more blessings come from providing your own family names in the temple.” Elder Richard G. Scott

 
We put the door on: Missionary Minded- “Missionary work is based upon sincere love for our fellowmen... We can be good examples, we can be good neighbors, we can make Church literature and magazines available to our friends, we can invite friends to meetings and activities, we can make our homes available to missionaries for teaching, and we can fellowship investigators and new converts. The important thing is to want to begin and to pray for guidance at each step.” Remember Me Relief Society Manual

 
I wanted to add windows, but there wasn't really room so I added shrubs: Traditions and Cleanliness.

Traditions-
“My family has traditions I look forward to each year—
A late-night party New Year’s Eve and valentines that cheer,
Summer swimming, fireworks, an autumn pumpkin patch,
Christmas visits to the lonely, goodies made from scratch.

My family has traditions I look forward to each week.
Family night’s my favorite, especially the treat!
And Sunday when we go to church, we learn of Jesus Christ
And how we’ll live with Him again through His great sacrifice.

My family has traditions I look forward to each day.
A peaceful feeling fills my heart each time we kneel to pray.
And though I do not always understand the words we read,
I know that faithful scripture study helps me to succeed.

My family has traditions—I look forward to each one.
They bless us all, they strengthen ties, and make our family fun!
One day I’ll have a family too. It won’t be very long.
Creating good traditions will help keep us safe and strong.”
Family Traditions poem by Teresa Weaver

Cleanliness- “Just as we feel the Spirit of the Lord in the clean, orderly surroundings of a chapel or a temple, we can more easily invite the Spirit of the Lord into our homes by making them clean and orderly. No home, no matter how costly, is beautiful if it isn’t neat. Even an impoverished home can be beautiful if everything is orderly. We find an increased spirituality and reverence when our home is clean.” Dale and Marta Mouritsen


I then concluded the lesson with a picture of Jesus on the door and shared four of my favorite quotes:

“The most important of the Lord’s work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own homes.” President Harold B. Lee

“We need not worry if we can’t simultaneously do all of the things that the Lord has counseled us to do. He has spoken of a time and a season for all things. In response to our sincere prayers for guidance, He will direct us in what should be emphasized at each phase of our life. We can learn, grow, and become like Him one consistent step at a time.” Elder Richard G. Scott

“One of the greatest blessings we can offer to the world is the power of a Christ-centered home where the gospel is taught, covenants are kept, and love abounds.” Elder Richard G. Scott

"To be a righteous woman is a glorious thing in any age. To be a righteous woman during the winding up scenes on this earth, before the second coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman's strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed here to help to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home- which is society's basic and most noble institution. Other institutions in society may falter and even fail, but the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife." President Spencer W. Kimball

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: