Wednesday, December 9, 2015

South America without me!

I am a lucky girl and have visited countries in North America, Europe, and Asia.  My husband is a lucky boy and has visited several other countries for work trips.  We both wish I could go with him each time, but his most recent trip to Brazil was really hard because it was on a continent we hadn't been to before (no fair!).  I love it when he shares the things he sees and does while he's gone, so here's his little summary:
 
I came to João Pessoa, Brazil for the 10th Internet Governance Forum, a UN-mandated multi-stakeholder meeting where we discuss everything from internet infrastructure, encryption, blockchains, and human rights online (the reason I'm here).
 
I'm guessing the architect thought he was designing an airport?
 
This is where I have been staying for the last week.
 
And this is what is behind me while taking the previous picture...
 
Jenny! Where are you, and why aren't you here?
 
The view from the top of my hotel. I will miss this, but can't wait to get home.
 
Didn't make it to church, but had a long, disjointed conversation with the bishop via Google translate.
 
The city was established in 1585, and this church (São Francisco) was built in 1589.
 
Looking up to the choir.
 
The bishop's palace.
(Not the bishop he had a conversation with in a picture above, different denominations, ha ha!)
 
Loved this view, from within the attached convent, looking out towards the river.
 
The governor's office (João Pessoa is the capital of the state of Paraíba).
  
This lighthouse marks the most easterly point in the continental Americas.
 
I am, at this very moment, standing at the most easterly point in the Americas.
 
Leonard just has to go back some day AND take me with him  ;).

No comments: