Thursday, May 18, 2017

HMCS Winnipeg

Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Winnipeg pulled into port here in Mumbai and we got to visit her!

She left Vancouver back in March and has been to San Diego, Hawaii, Guam, the Philippines, Malaysia, and India.  She'll also go to Sri Lanka, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan on this tour.  I think I want to be a sailor!  Nice to see the Maple Leaf flag!

It was also cool to see the Royal Canadian Navy flag.

This ship's name, the Winnipeg, is named after the place where my first Canadian crush was from, ha!


This mister has been on board for over 50 years!

Every ship has its own logo, I think the Winnipeg's is pretty cool.

This is a warship, so it was complete with big guns, missile and torpedo launchers.  They go out looking for bad guy submarines.  Let's just hope for peace!

We went up deck to the command center of the ship.  Len enjoyed sitting in the Captain's chair.

The view from the top!

We also went below deck to check out where the sailors hang out.  They have satellite TV, comfy couches, and yummy food.  Gavin was ready to call it home.  I like this cool model of the ship.

We went back to the deck to check out the helicopter hangar.  

The helicopter is a Transformer!  The tail folds over and the blades fold together, so it can fit on the ship.  Crazy cool!

There's almost as many switches in the helicopter as there is on the ship.

After our tour, they barbecued some hot dogs for us!  We were in heaven!!  Canadian hot dogs with ketchup, mustard, and relish.  Caesar salad with lettuce from Canada!  I don't know how they did it, but it was so nice to eat romaine again.  The cup held yummy fruit punch, but they also had Canada Dry Ginger ale and other pop from home.

To work off those calories, the sailors got out some floor hockey equipment to play with the kids.  I was so impressed that all of my kids (except Noé who was chatting with the girls) gave it a go.

Ali thought it was bowling, and kept taking the balls and knocking over the goal cones with them.  Each time she did, she'd shout, "I did it!"  It was SO hot and humid.  I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life, but it was a fun event!

One of the sailors told Leonard that while they are here in Mumbai there are going to be part of Robin Hood's Army.  We are so impressed with them!  Robin Hood's Army goes to local restaurants and asks for food donations.  They then take the food and give it to people in need.  There are many in India that could use a free meal.  Keep up the good work everyone!!

No comments: