Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Queen's Necklace

We've come full circle.  Back on Labor Day, Leonard had the day off of work, but the kids had school.  Len, Ali, and I set off to walk along the Worli Sea Face and had a yummy lunch at Good Earth.  Well, Victoria Day (like the US's Memorial Day) rolled around and again Leonard had the day off work, but the kids had school.  Len, Ali, and I set off again for another nice (albeit stinkin' hot and sweaty) walk along the sea followed by a yummy lunch.

The Queen's Necklace is a nickname for Marine Drive.  Marine Drive is a stretch of coast from Malabar Hill to Nariman Point.  At night, the lights on the bay look like a string of pearls, hence the name- the Queen's necklace.
(The large building in the background is a hospital, and this is Chowpatty Beach where we went for the Ganesh Immersion.)

New and old beach-front property.

Right across from this modest fishermen's dwelling.
(I really hope they don't live there permanently- the ledge only looked about a foot wide.)

These cute kiddos had fun chatting with Ali.

I took pictures of at least a half-a-dozen statues, but I liked how this pic looks like the orange leaves of Malabar Hill are raining down on this umbrella.

Wow!  This is what you call a bird feeder.  Or the makings of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

Walking in the sand, which Ali loved!

I loved all the flags on this fishing boat.

This is my favorite shot from the day!  These "clay" pots lined the beach and they looked like garbage cans.  I just love it with the sand, sea, boats, buildings, and blue sky.

I also love this crooked tree growing in the sand, still providing shade for a passerby.

Flowers in the sky!  The leaves look like a star, and a blue sky in Mumbai is something to be celebrated!

These girls saw me get my camera out and the one on the right ran over and struck a pose.  Her sister (or friend) ran over to join her and I had to take their picture.  What beauties!

Ali was a trooper, but as I mentioned it was an extremely hot and humid day.  Her energy eventually gave out and Len carried her on his shoulders for most of the time after.

I do love these special days out.

This was definitely the most interesting statue we saw.  I'm not sure what all the symbols mean, but I see this baby representing all the dreams of India.

The waves were small in the bay, but we could still hear their thunder.  That's one of my most favorite sounds in the world!

No comments: