Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Long, Anxious Day

Yesterday was the big day, and overall it went really well. I didn't get much sleep the night before (I never do when I have anxiety). In the morning we got Kaleb and Noe headed off for school. Leonard gave me a Priesthood Blessing and then headed off to work. I spent the rest of the day packing Gavin's bag who spent the day with his friend Lizzy, and my own hospital bag just in case. In the late morning I dropped Gavin off, picked Leonard up, and headed to the hospital.

We started with another NST. All looked well with baby and me so we could go ahead with the procedure. The amnioreduction was actually more painful than I imagined it to be. They have to drain the fluid off slowly because the uterus is pressurized and if they do it too quickly it can harm the baby. They did an ultrasound to find the largest pocket of fluid. They then inserted a thin needle into my abdomen, removed the sharp point, and then held the tube in to drain off the excess fluid. Right afterwards I felt my face flush and my head start to spin, I was scared I was going to pass out. Luckily, I was able to calm down though. They have the ultrasound on the entire time to watch baby's movements. The painful part was that every time he moved (which was pretty constant) the doctor would have to re-angle the tube and it hurt like crazy. The happy part was that the largest pocket of fluid was right next to his little face so I got to watch that sweet face the entire time. We even got to see a sweet little yawn at one point.

The procedure took a little over 30 minutes and they were able to remove 1.2 liters of fluid!!! That translates to over 40 fluid ounces, 4 pounds in weight loss, and an inch loss in my waist line! I had to have another NST for 2 hours afterwards. I was having lots of contractions (which the doctor said was normal) so I just had to take more medicine to calm them down. As soon as it was finally time to go they started up crazy again, which lasted throughout the evening until I went to bed, but they were mild. I have to continue taking the medicine to stop the contractions and antibiotics for a few days to prevent infection at the withdrawal site.

My doctor didn't put me on bed rest, because she didn't want to confine me to my bed. However, she said I am under house arrest for the next 10 days. She doesn't want me going anywhere unless it is to see her. She wants me to take it easy and I am not allowed to lift anything (poor Gavin). I will see her twice a week for the next couple of weeks and if everything is going well we can drop down to once a week until delivery. The next time I see her is Friday (my 5th appointment in 8 days) and I'm hoping all will go well and I'll have nothing to report on!

A little funny to add. Last night Len asked how I was feeling. I replied fine, just drained. Then we both started laughing, it's not every day you literally are drained- tee hee.

Again, I just want to express my thanks for all of the kind thoughts and prayers from all of my family and friends everywhere. I also want to thank all of those who helped me with child care, and offered meals, and cleaning during this crazy week. I know it is through the service of others that Heavenly Father answers our prayers.

2 comments:

Trina said...

I am so glad to hear that the procedure went well. I am sorry for all the stress and worry you have felt. Hopefully it will be smoother sailing for the rest of the pregnancy. Take care.

Delyna said...

Jen you are still in our thoughts and our prayers. Hang in there. What troopers you all are!