Sunday, May 12, 2013

Greatness vs. Goodness

We took the kids to see Oz The Great and Powerful during spring break.  To be honest, I was disappointed with the movie.  However, the last conversation between Oz and Glinda hit home to me.
Glinda: I knew you had it in you.
Oz:  What?  Greatness?
Glinda:  No.  Goodness.
I've always wanted to do something GREAT with my life, but alas I am just an average woman.  But I'm a woman who tries to be good.  I try to be a good wife.  I try to be a good mother.  I try to be a good homemaker.  I try to be a good friend to those around me and I try to serve in any capacity that I can.  And you know what?  I'll choose that life over fame or fortune anyday. 
 
With today being Mother's Day of course I think of my children's futures.  I want them all to be happy and successful in the paths they choose.  Maybe they will accomplish greatness in their lives, but most importantly I hope they accomplish goodness.
 
I saw this comparison about successful people vs. unsuccessful people by MaryEllen Tribby on facebook.  I'd like to change the words to happy people vs. unhappy people and share it here:
 
Happy People - Unhappy People
Compliment - Criticize
Forgive others - Hold a grudge
Accept responsibility for their failures - Blame others for their failures
Keep a journal - Say they keep a journal but really don't
Want others to succeed- Secretly hope others fail
Keep a "to-be" list - Don't know what they want to be
Set goals and develop life plans - Never set goals
Continuously learn- Think they know it all
Operate from a transformational perspective - Operate from a transactional perspective
Have a sense of gratitude - Have a sense of entitlement
Give other people credit for their victories - Take all the credit of their victories
Read everyday - Watch TV everyday
Talk about ideas - Talk about people
Share information and data - Horde information and data
Exude joy - Exude anger
Embrace change - Fear change
Keep a "to do/project" list - Fly by the seat of their pants
 
My friend Chandra has some quotes on her blog that I love so much I have to share them too! 
 

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting."
-Anonymous
 
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
-Oscar Wilde

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
-Anonymous
 
The last quote is my favorite. May we each live our dreams while being good to those around us!

No comments: