Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Daily Commute

Len's commute to work shrunk from 90 minutes to 15.  His journey is a lot more interesting though.  Here's what he sees on an average day.  Leaving our apartment complex.

Typical street scene.

The cows come and go.  We don't know what their daily travels are, but they show up in our neighborhood now and then.  People will buy food to give them (you can always see their ribs), and/or rub them and then make a religious sign.  Cows are sacred to the Hindus and are a sign of blessing.

A Hindu shrine across our street in a business park.

Marigolds must grow by the zillions here!  Everyday they are strung into gorgeous garlands to decorate homes, shrines, businesses, and cars, etc.  This man was working hard underneath the freeway flyover.

Many trucks are painted all fancy like this and they make me smile.  I love India!

Across the street from Len's work is this tent city.  It breaks my heart that so many people live in such conditions, especially during monsoon season.  

We have seen many animals on the streets- dogs, cats, goats, cows, horses, water buffalo, pigeons, crows, kites (and my kids saw a rat, eek!).  They all are terribly skinny and just look pretty pathetic.  They are all very mild mannered too.  I wish I could pet them and give them love, but I'm afraid I'd catch a parasite or disease.

Len's office is in the middle of these 3 buildings, the one with the Yes Bank sign.  He found this image online as he has't been able to capture one himself.

Being on the 21st floor has its perks, and Len loves to watch the kites fly by every day.

No comments: