Friday, January 3, 2020

Rock-n-Roll, Religion, and Home towns

After sharing two posts in "real" time, I'm back to blogging about my spring trip to Vegas.  After a relaxing Sabbath (of going to church then having dinner at my sister Mandy's house), Mom and I shopped until we dropped on Monday!  We went to Deseret Book, Cafe Rio, Costco, Target, Kohl's, The Container Store, Ulta, and Down East.  Deseret Book is clear across the city from us in Seven Hills to Summerlin.  While we were on that side of town we went to Costco.  Guess who gets in line beside us?  That would be Dan Reynolds, lead singer of Imagine Dragons.  Now I've seen and met celebrities a few times in my life, but I always get a little star struck.  I wish I had been brave enough to ask for a pic with him, but my shyness was turned up all the way.  Anyway, it got me to thinking of other famous musicians from Las Vegas who also are members of my church.

Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons.  Back in 2011, my cousin Lynn gave me a copy of their CD before they were famous.  She would listen to them play locally before they were signed and she knew they would make it big one day.  My family quickly fell in love with the CD and it was a road trip staple.  It was so fun once their songs reached the radio in Ottawa!

Brandon Flowers of The Killers went to high school with my cousin Lynn and she used to listen to them practice in their garage.  Lynn's friend Lisa (who shares other mutual cousins with me) went on to marry The Killers' drummer Ronnie Vannucci (and our 3 families vacationed together back in 1998, however they've since divorced).  I used to work-out to their CD every day while living in Taiwan.

Brendon Urie of Panic! At The Disco's mother was my daughter's Sunday School teacher while we lived in Las Vegas in 2017.

Marie and Donny of The Osmonds were best friends with my Aunt Debbi when they were teenagers (Debbi is Lynn's mom).  I remember when I was little my Granny had a photo of them together framed in her home.

Gladys Knight (and the Pips) sang at my parents' previous Stake's firesides and my parents heard her sing at them.

Chad Kroeger is not a member of my church, nor is he from Las Vegas.  He is from Hanna, Alberta though, where my husband is from and they did go to school together.  I got to meet Chad back in 2010, and he told me he used to cheat off of Leonard in school, ha ha!

No comments: