Friday, January 31, 2014

The Friend

You might remember my post BoM Feast from last year.  Well, our family's letter made it to The Friend Magazine!  Woo Hoo!  I wrote to the magazine last year thanking them for their select readings from The Book of Mormon.  I also asked if they would continue those reading charts for the rest of the standard works.  They wrote back that they weren't doing one for the Doctrine and Covenants (so Len compiled one for our family), but that they were already working on one for the Old Testament.  They also asked questions about our family scripture study habits, and asked each of the children how reading the scriptures as a family has helped them.  We sent back our answers, then they asked for pictures.  I emailed them six different pictures, then they combined three of them to make one photo of all of us.
 
Noe from this one.
 
Len and Teague from this one.

They added Noe to the right side, and added Len and Teague between me and Gavin.

The final image.
 
We were so surprised that our photo was so large in the magazine, and that our letter took up a whole page.  The thing I am most excited about is that they took my suggestion and included the story of Zelophehad's daughters in their Old Testament reading chart.  This is the first time that story has been published in any LDS material.  It is a beautiful story that shows Heavenly Father loves His daughters just as much as His sons (and it's where we found our daughter's name, we just spelled it differently).  I hope now it will be brought to the attention of more people!

The cover is small (since the image online is only 91x118).  However, you can read the entire magazine here.  I sure hope next year there will be another reading chart for the New Testament!

No comments: