When we lived in Taiwan, the school hosted a big gala every year. As we're cocooners and prefer each other's company at home more than going out and socializing with strangers/aquaintances we never went. This year we decided to give it a try.
My handsome hubby had a new suit made to measure.
I am a BIG girl and it is hard to find things that fit me properly. After spending a day at the mall checking every single store and coming up empty handed, I ordered not 1, not 2, but 3 dresses online. They arrived a week later and of course none of them fit me either! They all had parts that worked well, and other parts that didn't work at all. I was so frustrated! The ladies in Leonard's office gave us the name of a tailor in Santa Cruz, so we went and paid her a visit. I brought in a photo of a gown I liked and she drew a simple sketch, took my measurements, then gave us directions to the fabric district a couple of blocks away with samples of the 3 types of fabric we needed to buy. A week later I went in for a fitting, and she cut the gown to hang to the floor on me. A week after that it was hemmed and ready to go. It wasn't exactly how I envisioned in my mind, but it fit! She also made me a dupatta out of the blue chiffon, but I didn't find it in the bag until after the party, ha ha!
When we arrived the jazz band was playing and we were beaming at our son Kaleb! Soon after, the High School principal found us and asked to share a couple of pictures he had taken on his phone. He was visiting the art class and took photos of Noé's work. The art teacher asked the students to think if they were refugees and had to leave their home and belongings behind. However, they could take one small sentimental thing with them. They then were asked to sketch what they'd bring and describe why. Noé sketched her Young Women logo pendant. She explained that she chose this because it is a reminder of the promise she made to God to stand for truth and righteousness. She also shared some words about the YW program, how it teaches her to build her life on the values of faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice and accountability, good works, integrity, and virtue. The principal was just so impressed with her staying true to her convictions. I got a little teary-eyed and said she was a good girl. He responded, "She's a great girl!" I agree, I love all of my kiddos so much!
The celebration of our school's 35th anniversary was complete with food, drinks (pineapple juice for us), dancing, and a silent auction with the proceeds going to the endowment fund. The endowment fund is for the children of the local support staff to go to school at ASB. We wanted to make a donation to this, but when I saw this painting I decided I'd rather donate with a bid on it. By the end of the evening I don't think anyone had bid after me. Here's hoping this lovely piece will be ours soon!
Thanks honey for being my Prom date! Love you!




No comments:
Post a Comment