We had visited all of the scheduled stops in Jaipur and our guide asked us if we wanted to visit the local bazaars. The kids were tired and hungry, so we decided to head back to the hotel. After we ate, Len and I decided we would go out by ourselves to check out the bazaars.
Fresh produce anyone?
We took a taxi down to the Tripolia gate. Not long after we got out, a man (the pedlar) approached us. He said he was meeting a friend at the movies and was a grad student. He then told us that there was a great jewelry shop that sold real silver products at great prices and the jewelry was made by a co-op of women in a small village. I said that sounded like a neat place to visit, mainly out of politeness but also to get rid of him. The next thing I knew he had hailed a rickshaw driver (the peddler) and gave him directions to the Satyam International Shop.
Well, we've always wanted to go for a rickshaw ride. Rickshaws aren't allowed in South Bombay where we live.
We arrived at the shop that was run by a father and son duo. The son made lots of the jewelry and the father made these paintings on silk paper. They had mentioned that a village in Nepal made many of the things in their shop too. They were both very kind and friendly, but I've decided I no longer believe anything someone says who's trying to sell me something or otherwise get money from me.
We spent way more money than we had planned on more souvenirs, but I do think the paintings are beautiful. Now I just need to find a way to frame them and find a wall to hang them on.
These paintings were displayed in our hotel. And I think they are quite lovely.
I've also discovered that when I travel to a new place I wish I could travel back in time before globalization to the golden time of each country.
No comments:
Post a Comment