My tap dance teacher has taken classes from Jason Samuels Smith and sung his praises in our classes. When I heard he was coming to Mumbai I had to get tickets!
Here's what this show was all about:
"Emmy-winning tap dancer Jason Samuels Smith collaborates with Kathak exponent Seema Mehta. A performance that crosses barriers of culture and continents, Rhythm Rewritten is a coming together of two highly percussive dance forms and musical traditions of the East and West. Sections of solo tap and Kathak are followed by storytelling and a raw exchange between the dancers and the musicians. The ensemble includes Sabir Khan on tabla, Debashis Sarkar on vocals, and Jayanta Banerjee on sitar."
Jason is definitely an amazing tapper, but I have to say Seema's feet were just as loud as his and she was barefoot! The 3 musicians were also great performers and the tabla player is the 34th generation in his family to being playing the tabla- wowzers!


No comments:
Post a Comment